England squad to face San Marino and Switzerland: Jonjo Shelvey earns Three Lions return

first_img Swansea City star Jonjo Shelvey 1 Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey and Leicester striker Jamie Vardy have been named in Roy Hodgson’s England squad for the European Championship qualifiers with San Marino and Switzerland.Foxes star Vardy earns another crack of the whip after playing against Republic of Ireland in June, while Shelvey, who helped the Jacks beat Manchester United 2-1 on Sunday, returns after winning his first and only cap against San Marino back in 2012.Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney, who is one goal behind Bobby Charlton’s international goal record, both make the squad despite their own Premier League droughts, meanwhile Jack Butland, Ryan Mason and Luke Shaw also make the 22-man group.And Hodgson has praised his squad’s depth, especially after losing Arsenal star Jack Wilshere to injury: “On this occasion we are obviously missing some players from the June matches,” he said.“However this is compensated by the fact we have players who weren’t available over the summer.“Jonjo Shelvey gets another chance as he has been very impressive since the start of the season whilst Ryan Mason has been unlucky with us – he picked up an injury the last time he was in the England squad.“This latest squad shows we are working a good number of players with a claim to be England regulars and secure a place in Euro 2016.“Before that there are two matches we must focus on. The players must keep going, play well and look to win every match. I don’t want any let up and we want to win both these games.”England squad to play San Marino and Switzerland in full:Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Phil Jagielka (Everton).Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), James Milner (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City), Ryan Mason (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Fabian Delph (Manchester City).Forwards: Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).last_img read more

Posted on:

Real Madrid said Ronaldo had the record and did this…

first_imgReal Madrid say Cristiano Ronaldo is their all-time goal king, but official statistics say he is still one short from surpassing Raul.The club maintain his double against Malmo in the Champions League means he now has 324 goals, one more than Raul.However, there are doubts on whether or not one of those strikes should be counted, with the confusion dating back to a game against Real Sociedad in September 2010.A Ronaldo free-kick was deflected in off of Pepe, with the Spanish Liga giving the goal to the defender despite Real Madrid and his Portugal team-mate giving the credit to Ronaldo.Regardless of whether it is 323 goals or 324, the fact he has done it in 308 games is pretty remarkable and the club honoured their superstar with the video above.Real Madrid play Atletico Madrid on Sunday, which provides him with the opportunity to end the debate.last_img read more

Posted on:

TRANSFER FIGHT! Barcelona join Arsenal and Liverpool in eyeing Bundesliga strike sensation

first_img1 Barcelona sent scouts to watch Arsenal and Liverpool target Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in action at the weekend as they gear up for a busy January transfer window.The Catalan club will have their transfer ban lifted in the New Year and have drawn up a long hit list of targets – with Borussia Dortmund hotshot Aubameyang now added to it.The 26-year-old has been in staggering form so far this term, scoring 13 goals in just 11 Bundesliga outings, and Arsenal and Liverpool are both reportedly keen.But they may have to do battle with Barca, who sent top scout Ariedo Braida to keep an eye on him in the weekend’s 3-1 victory at Werder Bremen.Although Aubameyang did not find the net, it was reported that Braida was impressed by the striker, who is under contract until 2020.The player himself has also given Barca hope of signing him after revealing he promised his grandfather that he would one day test himself in La Liga – which could come as a blow to his Premier League admirers.Aubameyang told Telefoot: “I signed until 2020, even though I always dream of playing in Spain.“My grandfather died last year, and I promised him to play one day in Spain. He was a fan of Real [Madrid].“I really hope to play in Spain one day, but the important thing for now is to focus on Dortmund.” Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang last_img read more

Posted on:

‘Fans will boo him off if this move to United happens’ – Spurs man linked with switch

first_img Mauricio Pochettino is rumoured to be on a shortlist of managers to replace Louis van Gaal at Man United 1 First there was Jose Mourinho, then Pep Guardiola and now Mauricio Pochettino is the man reportedly lined up to replace Louis van Gaal.The current Man United manager has been under constant pressure following a string of poor results and performances, with Spurs man Pochettino the latest candidate linked in the British press.He is very popular with the White Hart Lane faithful and Tottenham are in contention to win two trophies this season – FA Cup and Europa League – and finish in the Champions League qualifying places.Here, talkSPORT has collected a selection of tweets from Spurs and United fans responding to these reports.last_img read more

Posted on:

Firefighters to hold community meetings

first_imgLos Angeles County Fire Department officials will hold community meetings in Malibu and Agoura Hills over the next two days to give residents updates on the status of the fires, road closures and evacuation sites. The first meeting will be held at 7 tonight at Malibu High School, 30215 Morning View Drive. The second meeting will be held tomorrow at 7 p.m. at the Agoura Hills/Calabasas Community Center, 27040 Malibu Hills Road, Calabasas. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Posted on:

Attorney General launches plan to bust businesses that don’t pay minimum wage, OT

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. California Attorney General Jerry Brown has launched a campaign to bust companies suspected of not paying minimum wage, overtime and other legally required charges. In the first of what Brown expects to be a series of lawsuits of its kind, Brown on Wednesday sued the Brinas Corporation, a Colorado-based firm that has worked on major construction projects throughout Los Angeles and San Diego counties. The suit seeks financial penalties that could reach hundreds of thousands of dollars under California’s Unfair Competition Law. ————————————— last_img read more

Posted on:

Two youngsters suspected of sexual assaults

first_imgCALABASAS – Two elementary school boys are under investigation for allegedly sexually assaulting their classmates in campus restrooms, authorities said Wednesday. After a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department investigation at Lupin Hill Elementary School, deputies concluded that fewer than 10 children, all between the ages of 5 and 8, were involved, sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Scott said. The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office is reviewing the case and declined to comment. It’s unclear whether the boys – who are both 8 – will be charged. At least one of the accused boys was cited for investigation of sodomy, but Scott said prosecutors will decide what, if any, charges will be pursued. “The thing I found most irritating is the police going in and extracting a so-called confession without notifying us at all,” he said. He maintains that although his son admitted to him that he did participate in inappropriate behavior in the boys’ restroom, he said he didn’t commit sodomy. The boy has since been suspended from school and faces expulsion. His father said he thinks the school overreacted. “They decided to play extreme hardball, and we’re going to have a major showdown once we get to court,” he said. Principal Sheila J. Grady did not return a call seeking comment, but in a Nov. 5 letter to Lupin Hill parents, she said the school has “plans to revisit age-appropriate touching lessons with professional advisors.” “Students at Lupin Hill are safe and protected,” she wrote. “Our staff members are vigilant in assuring the safety of all students. The vigilance of the adults on campus is the reason that this situation came to light.” But at least one parent has voiced frustration over what she sees as a lack of supervision on campus. “You want to know how 10 kids end up in the bathroom?” said Alyssa Clemsen, whose daughter attends Lupin Hill. “They’re unsupervised, that’s how.” rick.coca@dailynews.com (818) 713-3636160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre “We’re not looking to prosecute these children. We’re looking to get them help,” Scott said. “It would have been a crime if the children were old enough to commit a crime. … There was substantial sexual contact between the children.” The two children were cited in the past few weeks. Scott would not say how long the alleged conduct took place, but said it was over an extended period. All the children interviewed were given the choice of having a school official present, which many did, Scott said. The interviews occurred over several days without the children’s parents present, which is routine procedure, he added. The father of one of the accused boys said he was upset at school and law-enforcement officials for not notifying him about his son’s alleged involvement until after the investigation was finished. last_img read more

Posted on:

DONEGAL SHOPS TO GO OUT WITH A BANG WITH BUMPER SALES

first_imgTraders are across the county are hoping tomorrow’s sales will help them see out 2011 with a bang!Donegal traders have reported that business leading up to Christmas was much better than last year with tills in some shops up more than 30%.And many are hoping that the traditional post-Christmas sales, many of which start tomorrow, will help them get off to a strong start for 2012. Among those starting sales tomorrow will be McElhinney’s in Ballybofey as well as a range of others.Other shops offering super sales include Evolve Menswear in Letterkenny.Toni Forrester, CEO of Letterkenny Chamber, said many businesses had reported a steady Christmas trade with a rush in the final couple of days.“The town was very busy in the final couple of days and it was certainly up overall compared to last year. “The weather was a major factor and we are hoping we can continue that busy trend with the sales.“We need a solid start to the New Year and the message to people is that there are bargains out there to be had.“If people held back before Christmas then they will certainly get value for money and see their money go a lot further in the sales,” she said.The shop local message as well as the strength of the sterling against the euro means that a lot more people are now consciously opting to shop in Donegal rather than cross the border.“People are beginning to realise that if they shop locally then they will protect jobs locally,” she said. © 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comDONEGAL SHOPS TO GO OUT WITH A BANG WITH BUMPER SALES was last modified: December 26th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:CHristmasdonegalJanuarysaleslast_img read more

Posted on:

SUPERB SAVINGS ON BACK TO SCHOOL ITEMS AT COONEYS HOME AND GARDEN CENTRE

first_imgBUSINESS: Cooneys Home & Garden in Letterkenny offer the largest selection of ‘Back to School’ items in the Northwest including school bags, lunch boxes, pencil cases, copy books and a complete range of stationery!Dreading searching the town to style out your son or daughter for the new school term? Look no further than Cooneys Home & Garden. We have everything you need in store, suitable for both National & Secondary school students!Our range of schoolbags include Ridge 53, Jeep, Totto and a selection of Disney character bags which are offered with a quality guarantee.We also have some fantastic special offers on stationery in store including 10 (120 page) copy books for ONLY €3!Grab a bargain at Cooneys Home & Garden – your one stop shop for Back to School gear! SUPERB SAVINGS ON BACK TO SCHOOL ITEMS AT COONEYS HOME AND GARDEN CENTRE was last modified: August 5th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BusinessFeaturesnewslast_img read more

Posted on:

Benitez reveals his half-time fury at Newcastle players after sorry display

first_imgNewcastle’s “scared” players “need help” to build the mental toughness needed to avoid relegation, manager Rafa Benitez said.The Magpies capitulated 3-1 at Southampton on Saturday, their dreadful defensive showing gifting the hosts an easy victory.Centre back Steven Taylor, who was motionless as Shane Long opened the scoring, was withdrawn at half-time, though Benitez admits it was a result of a niggling injury.“Steven felt a bit of stiffness, so I think it was a big risk to keep a player with problems on the pitch, especially with the problems we have in defence,” said Benitez.“So we had to change him, and that’s it.FANS SLAM STEVEN TAYLOR: ‘I’D RATHER HAVE SUSAN BOYLE AT THE BACK!’Newcastle allowed Graziano Pelle to double the lead under little to no resistance and Victor Wanyama’s goal wrapped up Saints’ victory inside the hour, just leaving Andros Townsend to fire a good-looking but meaningless riposte for Newcastle.“Obviously we go into games a little bit scared and once we make the first mistake everybody loses the belief,” Benitez explained.“And it’s something that we have to change one way or another.“Some of them I think they are strong enough mentally, but some of them need help.“And we will try to help them one way or another. But we need to see which players we can count on and who can give what we are expecting.”Benitez admitted he was furious with his players at the break, but insisted there will be no recrimination or finger-pointing as Newcastle target four wins from four home matches as an unlikely route to safety.“At half-time, that could be the angriest I’ve been so far, yes. But it’s not a question of shouting but saying the right things.“You have to be upset, and I was really upset. I was telling them that the performance of the first half was not acceptable.“We had to change and start with the commitment, passion and character.“We had to change players, move some from one side to the other.“It was obvious that we couldn’t win with this mentality and playing in this way.“My concern was I couldn’t believe how we started the first half after the hard work that the players were doing during the week.“The games at home are crucial for us. So we have to approach them as one.“The confidence we must improve a lot, we have to get three points and that can change everything if we are capable of doing that.“It’s not the time to complain and blame each other, it’s time to realise we have to stick together.“We have four games at home and that is the key if we want to stay in the Premier League.”Newcastle host Swansea next and are six points from safety. 1 Rafa Benitez was angry with his Newcastle players during the Southampton game last_img read more

Posted on: