Guyana Power and Light (GPL) Deputy Chief Executive Officer Renford Homer said on Thursday that there was a mini disturbance on a primary line at the Demerara Berbice Interconnected System (DBIS) in Duke Street, Kingston, resulting in a total shutdown of the system.In a statement on the Government’s Department of Public Information (DPI) website, he said this subsequently led to power outages in several areas in Region Four (Demerara-Mahaica).“Currently, technicians are working expeditiously to resolve the situation,” he said on Thursday evening.Homer had anticipated then that power would be restored in approximately 45 minutes after 21:00h in all areas while investigations continue.
The funds are over and above the City’s previous commitments to the Rage Society.The funding will allow the Junior ‘A’ hockey club to address cash flow issues and meet ongoing financial obligations. The additional support displays the City’s continued desire to see the Rage successfully complete its second season in the North American Hockey League.The decision also recognizes the significant financial implications created for the City through the Rage-Encana Events Centre agreement.- Advertisement -Dawson Creek Mayor Mike Bernier says the decision was taken after careful consideration of the City’s options.“The City has made a committed effort to assist the Society in providing Junior ‘A’ Hockey to the Community. The team is an important partner for the Encana Events Centre as the facility’s “anchor” tenant. When we crunched the numbers, this course of action best protected the community’s interests.”The City also determined that it will not have any ongoing role as a funding partner to the Rage Society past the current hockey season. Mayor Bernier says the Society will need to ensure that it is financially sustainable without further subsidy in its operations beyond this year’s season.Advertisement The Rage’s next games will take place on Jan 7 and 8 against the Alaska Avalanche at the Encana Events Centre and the City is encouraging the community to come out and show their support.
Athletes from the Fort St. John area triumphed at the 2010 Emperor’s Challenge in Tumbler Ridge.Charlie Lake’s Nicki Haugan led the way, completing the demanding 20 km course in a time of 1:48.31 – a full four minutes faster than any other female. – Advertisement -Cecil Lake’s Wendy Giesbrecht joined Haugan at the top, claiming third place in the open women’s division.Fort St. John’s Gord Harris also found his way onto the podium, finishing second in the Men’s ‘Grand Masters’ class (50-64), with a time of 1:56.53. Peter Westway also finished third in the men’s ‘Super Masters’ division, while Ali Belhis finished third in the men’s ‘Masters’ class.The region was also well-represented in the kids races, including victories by Cecil Lake’s Maria Geisbrecht (8-11 girls 2km) and Grace Geisbrecht (14 & under girls 4km).In all, 170 athletes from the Fort St. John area joined a field of more than 600 for the annual race.Advertisement For full results, visit http://www.emperorschallenge.com/results.php
St Andrews stadtium Colchester United boss Tony Humes has revealed Will Packwood’s loan stint with the club has been cut short and he will now return to Birmingham City.The 21-year-old was due to remain at the Colchester Community Stadium until January 1, but he has now gone back to the Blues to recover from a groin injury – which could keep him out for up to eight weeks.Packwood, who is a member of the United States Under-23’s side, endured a nightmare debut for Colchester against the MK Dons last month – picking up the muscle problem before being sent off after 67 minutes.“To have the sending off and the red card was very unfortunate for Will,” Humes said.“The game at MK Dons was a tough one for everyone and Will didn’t get much help from those around him.” 1
They ceremony will include lunch, presentations to welcome new doctors and raffles. For more information, call (562) 863-4763. Candyland scheduled Monday at Biola LA MIRADA — Biola University students will for the eighth year in a row hold Candyland, a free event for families in the community, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Monday in the Alpha Chi Residence Hall on the campus, 1380 Biola Ave. Enter at the Biola entrance off La Mirada Boulevard. The event, which features candy, games, prizes, movies and a gigantic bounce house, is the schools’ and students’ way of providing a safe alternative to trick-or-treating for local children. For more information, call (562) 777-4061. La Leche plans informational meeting WHITTIER — La Leche League of Whittier will hold an information meeting for mothers and mothers-to-be who want to learn more about breast feeding. The meeting will be held at 9:45 p.m. Nov. 8 at St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church, 11345 Miller Road. For more information, call (562) 448-9226. Hospital’s mobile unit to offer flu shots LA MIRADA — Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital’s mobile health clinic, Care Force One, will offer a limited amount of flu shots to persons in high-risk groups from 9 to 11 a.m. Nov. 14 at the La Mirada Activity Center, 13810 La Mirada Blvd. People eligible are seniors 65 or older and those with chronic diseases. Shots will be given on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, call (562) 902-3160 or visit www.cityoflamirada.org. Halloween event for families planned WHITTIER — United Friends of the Children Pathways Transitional Living Program will host a Halloween bash for Whittier families from 4 to 6 p.m. Monday. Free food, games, prizes, face-painting and a safe environment for children will be offered. For more information, call (310) 566-2285. From staff reports160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week A Norwalk Superior Court jury Tuesday convicted Steve Pedroza after an eight-day trail. He was found guilty of murder and arson, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said. On June 20, 2004, Pedroza and his wife, Teresa Rodriguez, fought because he had gone out drinking with friends to a nightclub in Bellflower. At one point, Rodriguez got a can of gasoline, intending to pour it over Pedroza’s tools, said Whittier Police Department spokesman Officer Alan dela Pena. The couple struggled, and in doing so, got gasoline on their clothes. Pedroza then lighted a paper from the kitchen stove and threw it at Rodriguez, who received burns over 75 percent of her body. She died July 1 this year. Hospital’s pediatric unit to reopen NORWALK — Norwalk Community Hospital, 13222 Bloomfield Avenue, will celebrate the reopening of its pediatric unit with a ribbon-cutting ceremony from noon to 3 p.m. Tuesday. WHITTIER — The Sheriff’s Department on Thursday issued a special bulletin for the arrest of murder suspect Michael Henry Jaimez, 25, of Santa Fe Springs in the Aug. 25 shooting death of Aron Adagio of Downey. A flier issued by the department describes Jaimez as a known gang member who sometimes uses the names “Trouble” and “Flaco.” Authorities believe he is still in the Whittier/Santa Fe Springs area and knows he is wanted by the law. Adagio was shoot to death just outside a 7-Eleven store in Pico Rivera. Two other suspects in the shooting are in custody. Man guilty of arson, murder in wife’s death WHITTIER — A Whittier man has been convicted of first-degree murder for setting his wife on fire during a fight at the couple’s home last year.
louwtjievdw: Featured Geocacher of the Month for FebruaryAll three nominees for the February Geocacher of the Month show us the meaning of geocaching ambassadors. They welcome new community members, hide and maintain clever geocaches, and are rewarded with hundreds of Favorite Points.Thank you to all those who supported the nominees. Those not chosen as featured Geocacher of the Month will receive a gift of appreciation from Geocaching HQ.After counting the votes and registering the sentiment a man known as Uncle Louwtjie, louwtjievdw, is named the Featured Geocacher of the Month for February 2013. Louwtjievdw is known in the South African geocaching community as a creative geocache hider. He’s built a reputation as a geocacher who’s as quick to maintain his geocache hides as he is to make friends with new geocachers. He’s also known for friendly advice, leaving great logs on geocaches he’s found and having a cup of coffee ready for geocachers at his home.One voter writes, “Oom Louwtjie, also called the “Flame of Bloemfontein”, gets our vote. His contribution towards geocaching can not go unnoticed. He accelerated this hobby and made it extremely pleasurable and challenging. His unique cache hides and above all his comments, his friendly nature, made him a legend in our country. He has the ability to find caches even in the toughest places with no complaints and he will always look for that something good in every cache hide…”Uncle Louwtjievdw will receive a collector’s edition featured Geocacher of the Month Geocoin, along with a Geocacher of the Month hat and certificate acknowledging his contributions, signed by two of the founders of Geocaching.com. See a list of all the featured Geocachers of the Month here.Featured Geocacher of the Month IconIf you know an outstanding geocacher who should be considered for the honor, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Every nomination must follow these requirements. Please include:Your name, the name of your nominee, their usernameA picture of the nomineeDescription (200 or more words) explaining why he or she deserves to be the Geocacher of the MonthPlease inform your nominee that you have submitted them for the award. Nominations for Featured Geocacher of the Month are accepted at any time.Congratulations again to Uncle Louwtjie on being recognized at the Featured Geocacher of the Month for February.Share with your Friends:More SharePrint RelatedMarch Featured Geocacher of the Month Nominees – Add Your CommentsMarch 15, 2013In “Community”February Featured Geocacher of the Month Nominees – Add Your CommentsFebruary 13, 2013In “Community”Featured Geocacher of the Month Award WinnersAugust 25, 2011In “Community”
Related Posts frederic lardinois The fact that there is no social Google Reader gadget for iGoogle so far also feels like a missed opportunity. While the Google Reader team has been adding more social features to its product, a stronger integration with iGoogle would really take this to the next level. We can only hope that an enterprising gadget developer will soon create this link between iGoogle and Google Reader.Lots of PotentialOverall, we get the feeling that these social gadgets have a lot of potential, but it will take some work from third-party developers to really make the most out of this opportunity. The 18 social gadgets Google released today definitely make iGoogle a more attractive start page and it will be interesting to see what gadgets developers will come up with. Google itself, however, still has to work on creating a more integrated experience. iGoogle as Google’s Social Hub?On the surface, this doesn’t seem like a major announcement. However, while Google is slowly building out its repertoire of services that leverage the OpenSocial platform, the company never really tied all of these services together. With this announcement, though, it looks like iGoogle could become the central hub for social activities on Google’s ecosystem. After all, iGoogle already knows who your friends are because it can tap into your Google Contacts, where you can manage your friends by adding them to the “Friends” group. Keeping Up With Your FriendsiGoogle currently offers two interesting ways to keep up with your friends’ activity: a timeline and an ‘updates’ feed. The timeline even allows users to post Facebook-like status updates. The good thing about the update stream is that users can see their friends’ activity on iGoogle, even if they don’t have a specific gadget installed themselves.Social GadgetsThe current crop of gadgets is interesting in its own right. The ToDo gadget, for example, allows you to share a list of chores with your family members. Electronic Arts developed a nice version of Scrabble for iGoogle and the NPR gadget allows you to share news stories with your friends. Another outstanding gadget is the YouTube gadget, which allows you to easily share interesting video clips with your friends. The problem here, though, is that the gadget doesn’t directly tie in to your activity on YouTube itself. When you share something on the actual YouTube website, it doesn’t automatically appear in your iGoogle gadget. This seems like a missed opportunity and exemplifies the problems Google still faces as it tries to centralize its users’ social activities across the large variety of services it offers. Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Tags:#news#NYT#web Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Google just rolled out 18 social gadgets for its iGoogle start page. These social gadgets turn iGoogle into a far more interactive and social experience, as users can now play casual games with other iGoogle users and share videos and to-do lists right from the iGoogle homepage. As Google’s Marissa Mayer and Rose Yao, iGoogle’s product manager, told us yesterday, while the first incarnation of iGoogle was about connecting people with information, the service will now also focus on connecting people to each other.These new social gadgets already launched in Australia earlier this month, so this announcement doesn’t come as too much of a surprise, though the U.S. launch also brings a number of new U.S.-centric gadgets to iGoogle from organizations like NPR, the Huffington Post, and the New York Times.All iGoogle users in the U.S. will get access to these gadgets over the course of this week and Google plans to expand the reach of these social gadgets beyond the U.S. and Australia in the near future.
Two militants were killed on Wednesday in an encounter with security forces while a teenager died in the action by law-enforcing agencies against protesters near the scene of a gun-battle in Jammu and Kashmir’s Shopian district. Arms and ammunition were seized from the scene of the encounter, an Army official said.A 17-year-old boy was killed and several were injured during clashes between protesters and security forces near the encounter site.
Shanghai: FIFA has awarded the inaugural edition of its expanded 24-team Club World Cup to China, the association’s president Gianni Infantino said Thursday in what he called a “historic decision”.The move underlines China’s growing clout in football and could be a precursor to the country eventually hosting the World Cup proper. Infantino made the announcement after a meeting in Shanghai of the FIFA Council, the decision-making unit of football’s world governing body.It will mean many of the biggest club teams in football — and their array of stars — descending on China in two years’ time.Infantino confirmed that China was the only country being considered.”It is a historic decision for football,” he said. “It will be a competition which every person, every child and everyone who loves football is looking forward to.”The FIFA chief said in June that his new Club World Cup could generate as much as $50 billion in commercial income, although he did not state how many editions that would cover and a source told AFP the figure was “scarcely credible”.The current Club World Cup features seven teams including the holders of the UEFA Champions League. Qatar will host the competition this year and in 2020.The Gulf state will use the two tournaments as logistical tests for stadiums and infrastructure ahead of the 2022 edition of the World Cup, FIFA’s flagship international competition.FIFA also will double funding for women’s football to $1 billion over the next four years, Infantino said.”The Council decided to put 500 million in addition to the 500 million already budgeted,” he said.The plan for a revamped 24-team Club World Cup starting in June-July 2021 was approved at a FIFA Council meeting in Miami in March despite opposition from UEFA and the powerful European Club Association.Infantino said on Thursday that tournament would include eight teams from Europe.The tournament will take place every four years and replaces the Confederations Cup, an international competition that acted as a test event for countries hosting a World Cup.WORLD CUP NEXT?China, the world’s second-biggest economy, is becoming increasingly influential in football under President Xi Jinping, a known fan of the game.Xi and his communist government have made the sport a national priority and his stated aim is for the country of 1.4 billion to host and eventually win a World Cup.A bid for the 2030 World Cup has long been mooted.Mark Dreyer, a Beijing-based expert in China’s sports industry, said that the country has a proven track record in staging major sporting events and views a World Cup as the ultimate aim.But Dreyer, founder of the China Sports Insider website, added: “I worry from China’s perspective whether the other competing bids (for 2030) will use this (hosting the Club World Cup) against China and say they already have something from FIFA and have rewarded the country for its financial support, so give the World Cup to someone else.”Infantino stepped carefully when asked about questions that could be raised over China’s human rights record as a result of the Club World Cup decision.He also was asked whether players coming to China may have to self-censor, after the US National Basketball Association was hit by a Chinese backlash over comments by a Houston Rockets team executive who expressed support for Hong Kong protesters resisting Chinese control.”Everyone can say what they want,” he said.”As far as we are concerned, we are trying to use football as a catalyst for positive, and never for negative.” Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time. 2021 Club World CupChinaclub world cupFIFA First Published: October 24, 2019, 11:18 AM IST
Disgraced former grand slam doubles champion Bob Hewitt has been expelled from the International Tennis Hall of Fame due to his 2015 conviction for rape and sexual assault in South Africa.The Australian-born Hewitt, 76, was sentenced to six years in prison last May after being found guilty of assaulting three underage girls he was coaching in South Africa during the 1980s and 1990s.”The expulsion is a result of a conviction against Hewitt on two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault,” the Hall of Fame said in a statement on Wednesday.”The conviction was issued by a South African court in March 2015, and the appellate courts have now denied the right to further appeals of the conviction.”The allegations first surfaced in 2011.Hewitt was inducted in 1992 and was indefinitely suspended from the Newport, Rhode Island-based Hall of Fame in 2012.Upon his suspension, Hewitt’s plaque and all references to him at the Hall of Fame were removed.Hewitt was a doubles and mixed doubles champion at all four grand slam events, winning seven Wimbledon titles.He also reached the semi-finals of the men’s singles at the Australian Open three times, and won the Davis Cup with South Africa in 1974.