Police in A Division (Georgetown-East Bank Demerara) arrested a 37-year-old man on Thursday evening after several parcels of marijuana were found in the vehicle he was driving.The discovery was made during an intelligence-led operation, coordinated by a senior officer and conducted by ranks of a Police patrol commanded by aThe marijuana found in the suspect’s carSergeant.According to Police reports, at about 20:20h, the ranks intercepted a Toyota Allion motorcar on the Grove Public Road, East Bank Demerara (EBD). They carried out a search of the vehicle, during which 10 sealed parcels of cannabis was found in the trunk.The prohibited substance weighed and amounted to 12 pounds.The driver, who hails from Westminster, La Parfaite Harmonie, West Bank Demerara, was taken into custody and is being processed for court.
Rick Monday, a Vero Beach resident as Labine was, led 300 mourners in a standing ovation for the right-hander who died at 80 on March 2 after a sudden illness. O’Malley flew in from California with his sister Terry Seidler for what he said was his first visit to Vero Beach since the family sold the team in 1998. Erskine came all the way from his home in Anderson, Ind. “The list of deceased members of the Dodgers family used to be one page. Now it’s page after page after page,” Rev. Monsignor Irvine Nugent said from the altar. “Clem has gone to join them today … He has touched all the bases, and today we pray he crosses home plate into the arms of God. Amen.” Of the team that won the Dodgers’ first World Series in Brooklyn in 1955, the number of players still living shrank to 11 when Labine (who had a win and a save against the Yankees) died. Koufax, Erskine and Lasorda were on hand Thursday. So were such varied Dodgers of the past as coach Danny Ozark, scout Ralph Avila and Bump Holman – the former team-plane pilot who is the son of Bud Holman, the businessman credited with luring the team to Vero in the first place. For Labine, who also pitched in the 1959 World Series, the last official Dodgers act was to put on his No. 17 uniform and serve as an instructor at the team’s fantasy camp in Vero Beach in February. He suffered a heart attack and stroke soon after. Monday, who grew close to Labine even though their careers didn’t overlap, read something from Labine’s widow Barbara, who was too emotional to read it herself. It was, in part, about the nostalgic lure of Dodgertown. “He enjoyed putting on his Dodger uniform so much,” Barbara said. “It made him feel 10 years younger and two inches taller.” Kevin Modesti’s column appears in the Daily News three days a week. firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3616 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! VERO BEACH, Fla. – They held a memorial twin bill here Thursday: The funeral mass for Clem Labine, durable relief ace of Dodgers champions in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, doubled inadvertently as a tribute to Vero Beach itself, the franchise’s spring home for vanishing generations. Peter O’Malley, Sandy Koufax and Carl Erskine shared a pew. Figures of fame as obvious as Tom Lasorda and esoteric as Bump Holman dotted the church. The knowledge that the Dodgers plan to move to a Phoenix-area training base in two years added a layer of emotion to this funeral/reunion. “This is a second home,” Erskine, whose pitching career paralleled Labine’s, said outside St. Helen Catholic Church, fiveminutes to the ocean side of Dodgertown. “When the Dodgers left Brooklyn and went to Los Angeles, there was a huge separation of the fan base and all that. But the one constant was Vero Beach. All the greats who played in Jackie Robinson’s era, to the ’58 season in Los Angeles, and all the greats that came since then, they all came through Dodgertown, Vero Beach. This is the link. That’s why we’re so antsy that it might close in a couple of years.” Erskine rode to Vero Beach with O’Malley and Seidler after their planes landed in Orlando. “A lot of roots,” O’Malley said before heading to Dodgertown for lunch. “For two hours, we reminisced. It (the Dodgers’ scheduled move) is sad, I can’t deny that, because we’ve been coming here so long. I do hope another team comes here. I think it will be a tremendous void for the community not to have a baseball team here.” Inside the church, the service was very Vero and distinctly Dodgers. It had been delayed a few days, allowing Dodgers people to attend in the afternoon before a 7 p.m. Grapefruit League game.
Some of the stolen goods include jewelry, household items, and remote controlled planes.Police are now investigating the break, enter, and thefts and anyone with information is asked to contact RCMP at 250-784-3700 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.- Advertisement –
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson at Washington 2 Marian Hossa scored twice and Ilya Kovalchuk had a goal and two assists for the Thrashers, who tallied three power-play goals. The Capitals’ Alexander Ovechkin scored a goal for the sixth straight game. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Joe Nieuwendyk scored 32 seconds into the game and Gary Roberts connected on the winner on a third-period power play as the Panthers improved to 4-14-3 on the road. The Sabres lost for only the fifth time in 23 games (18-3-2). Atlanta 5, Florida 2, at Buffalo 1
Finn Harps went down to champions Longford Town in their final game of the season this afternoon at Finn Park.Longford missed a number of chances before David O’Sullivan rose highest form a free-kick to make it 0-1 on the half hour.Despite being outplayed for spells, Harps were given the perfect opportunity to draw level in the 68th minute when they were awarded a penalty when Pat McCann as impeded inside the area. However Town goalkeeper Bennion did enough to save from Sean McCarron.Long made just of the points ten minutes later when Mark Salmon scored from inside the area.Longford go up and harps will be left to ponder how a season, which started quite brightly, fell away from them. HARPS GO DOWN 0-2 TO CHAMPIONS LONGFORD IN FINAL GAME OF SEASON was last modified: October 12th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:finn harpsFinn ParkLongford Town
McKEENEYThe sudden death has taken place in Glasgow of William McKeeney, late of Malin Head. Funeral arrangements will be confirmed later this week.DAWSON The death has occurred at Letterkenny General Hospital of Paidin Dawson, Ard O’Donnell, Letterkenny. Remains will repose at the Eternal Light Chapel of Rest, Carnamuggagh tomorrow, Tuesday, from 4pm. Removal at 6pm going to St Eunan’s Cathedral to repose overnight. Requiem Mass on Wednesday at 10am with burial afterwards in the family plot at Conwal Cemetery. No flowers please, donations if desired to the Renal Dialysis, Letterkenny General Hospital c/o Pashcal Blake, Funeral Director, Stoney Arch, New Line Road, Letterkenny.FRIELThe death has occurred of Peter Friel of Meenagran, Inver. Removal from the residence of his brother Connie Friel on Tuesday at 10:30am for 11am Requiem Mass in St. Mary’s Church, Frosses. Interment afterwards in the adjoining cemetery. Family flowers only please.FARREN The death has taken place at Carndonagh Community Hospital of Ellen Farren, Gortynarrin, Culdaff. Her remains are reposing at her late residence. Funeral from there on Wednesday at 10.15am for 11am Requiem Mass in St Patrick’s Church, Aughaclay, followed by burial in the adjoining cemetery. Family flowers, donations if desired The Carndonagh Community Hospital – c/o Collins and McDermott, Funeral Directors or any family members.BOYCEThe death has taken place of John Boyce, Ballylinn, Ramelton. His remains are reposing at his late residence. Requiem Mass on Wednesday at 11am in St Mary’s Church, Ramelton, followed by burial in Killydonnell Cemetery. Family time please from 11pm to 10am.GALLIVANThe death has taken place at his home of Shaun Gallivan, 6A Cloon Mhuire, Buncrana. His remains are reposing at his home. Funeral from there tomorrow, Tuesday, at 10am going to St Mary’s Church, Cockhill for 11am Requiem Mass. Interment afterwards in the adjoining cemetery. FLANAGANThe death has taken place of Annie Flanagan, Meencarrigach, Ballybofey. Removal from Mc Cool’s Chapel of Rest, Navenny Car Park, Ballybofey today at 7pm, going to her home. Funeral from there on Wednesday at 10.15am going to St. Mary’s Stranorlar for Requiem Mass at 11am. Interment afterwards in Stranorlar Cemetery. Family time please from 11pm until 10am.DONEGAL DEATH NOTICES FOR MONDAY, JANUARY 16, 2012 was last modified: January 16th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:2012DONEGAL DEATH NOTICES FOR MONDAYJANUARY 16
LOS ANGELES – After looking for love on the Internet and failing to find it, frustrated lonely hearts are heading to court, accusing online dating sites of engaging in deceptive practices. A recent lawsuit against Match.com charged the matchmaking service with sending a female employee out on a date with a male subscriber as “date bait” to keep him signed up. Another lawsuit against a personals service offered by Yahoo Inc. accused the Internet portal giant of creating fake profiles to entice subscribers. Match.com hotly denied the allegations and obtained an affidavit from the woman in question, who declared she never worked for the company. Yahoo declined to comment. The federal fraud lawsuits, which seek class-action status, have roiled the lucrative online dating industry. A 2004 report by Jupiter Research estimated the U.S. Internet personals market had revenues of $473 million that year – the largest moneymaker for online content. Anthony says Yahoo puts fake profiles on its personals site “to generate interest, public trust and give the site a much more attractive and functional appearance.” Yahoo charges $19.95 a month for a dating service and $34.95 a month for a service geared for people looking for more serious relationships. Anthony alleged that Yahoo also sent him fake “new match” messages when his monthly subscription was up for renewal. After months of failing to meet a potential match, he became suspicious and uncovered instances of the same picture of a woman being posted for different cities under different names, according to his Florida attorney, Randy Rosenblum. “He wants to expose what he believes to be illegitimate conduct on the part of Yahoo and stop it from happening,” Rosenblum said. “Because people are signing up for a service and are paying for it and they are not getting what they are paying for. They are being misled into thinking there are people out there who are interested.” Trish McDermott, chief matchmaker at Engage.com and a member of Match.com’s startup team in 1995, said she never saw any type of consumer fraud during her 10 years with Match.com “The true enticement of these services are the real people who like you for who you are,” McDermott said. But she added that the majority of personals sites, including Yahoo and Match.com, employ a business model she believes fails consumers. The pay-to-respond model, in which a user must join a service to respond to an e-mail sent by a potential match, but not to post a profile, is lacking because it’s not clear who is a member and who isn’t, McDermott said. If someone e-mails 100 people and gets only one response, they could conclude that most of the profiles are fake when actually the profiles show nonsubscribers who can’t respond to e-mail, McDermott said. The self-written profiles also breed inauthentic communications that can lead to poor online dating experiences, she said. Jupiter Research found in a consumer survey that 35 percent of online dating users at three major sites – Match.com, Yahoo Personals and Spark Networks – were dissatisfied. “Their expectation is to find an authentic person and to fall madly and truly in love, yet the experience can be very demoralizing for these people,” McDermott said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals In the Match.com lawsuit, filed Nov. 10 in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, plaintiff Matthew Evans made the “date bait” allegation against Autumn Marzec. He also accused the site of using fake profiles and sham e-mail “winks” from potential matches to keep him subscribed. Match.com, which claims more than 15 million members, offers a basic subscription for $29.99 a month. Marzec said in a signed affidavit that she has never been employed by Match.com or its parent company, InterActive Corp., and has not worked for them as a contractor. Match.com demanded Monday that Evans and his attorney dismiss the lawsuit, which it called a “totally baseless attack.” Evans’ attorney, Mike Arias, said Wednesday he has no intention of dropping the suit, adding he plans to file an amended complaint shortly that will name more plaintiffs and include more allegations of fraud. The lawsuit against Yahoo was filed in October in U.S. District Court in San Jose by plaintiff Robert Anthony, a resident of Broward County, Fla.
A shocking video shows the extent of the flood damage in Inishowen in the aftermath of the heavy rainfall which has plunged many parts of Donegal into disaster mode.Videographer Adam Rory Porter at Windy Day Media charted the landscape from Swan’s Park in Buncrana up to Cockhill Bridge and further afield to document the extreme damage and conditions remaining today after a night of emergencies.Scenes of mud covered ground, raging river waters and collapsed bridges show how an area that was once so picturesque was so suddenly ruined. The video shows how much of a large scale clean up and repair operation is required in just one of many areas following the flash flooding of August 22nd.Video via www.facebook.com/WindyDayMediaWATCH: Dramatic drone video depicts flood disaster in Buncrana was last modified: August 23rd, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranaFLOODINGwindy day media
15 May 2012 South Africa is set to have its strongest representation yet at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, with 130 of the country’s filmmakers registered for the event, and the National Film and Video Foundation gearing up to showcase 20 local projects, including 12 feature films and eight documentaries. South Africa’s increasing participation at the international level, including Cannes, showed “that our filmmakers are global competitors in the field,” National Film & Video Foundation (NFVF) CEO Zama Mkosi said in a statement on Friday. “Their projects are authentic stories that resonate in the international marketplace.” Arts and Culture Minister Paul Mashatile is expected to lead South Africa’s Cannes delegation, and is scheduled to sign the country’s eighth film co-production treaty, with Ireland, while at the festival. The treaty will enable productions from both countries to qualify for the different incentives associated with home-grown content in each country, as well as enable collaborations between producers from the two countries. South Africa’s first co-production treaty was signed with Canada in 1997, followed by Germany, Italy, the UK, France, Australia and New Zealand. Productions that have come out of these treaties include films such as Skin (SA/UK), The Bang Bang Club (SA/Canada), Death Race (SA/Germany), Skoonheid (SA/France) and A Million Colours (SA/Canada). During this year’s Cannes, the NFVF will host a co-production forum to which all South Africa’s treaty partners have been invited, in order to strengthen ties and look at ways of ensuring that the partners come up with a new co-production each year. The NFVF’s Cannes Showcase of South African will include the acclaimed film based on Durban’s black surfers, Otelo Burning, as well as: Semi-Soet, Blitz Patrollie, 31 Million Reasons, Five Finger for Marseillas, One Last Look, The Umbrella Man, Tok Tokkie, RollaBall, Sobukwe, Wandering Fever and I am Craig. A South African pavilion, jointly hosted by the Department of Arts and Culture and the NFVF, will provide a business environment for South African delegates to host meetings, complete with screening facilities for filmmakers wish to show trailers. “Cannes is recognised as the world’s premiere film festival where the world’s distributors, financiers, festival programmers buy film projects, negotiate distribution deals and funding,” said NFVF marketing head Azania Muendane. “Cannes is a key strategic platform for the NFVF to meet its objectives of promoting the country as a co-production partner, a filmmaking destination of choice, and a country that tells authentic stories.” The 65th Cannes International Film Festival runs from 16 to 27 May. SAinfo reporter
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Many farmers in the northwest part of Ohio were wondering if they would have a corn crop to harvest this year. Now, with disease pressures adding to the challenge of stalk quality issues as corn enters the dent stage, many farmers are hoping black layer gets here sooner than later. The Ohio Ag Net’s Ty Higgins talks about the corn progress and harvest outlook with DuPont Pioneer Account Manager Chasitie Euler for this week’s DuPont Pioneer Field Report.