Pruett takes pole at Telcel-Motorola 200

first_imgContreras ecstatic about his performance. “I don’t believe it. I’m very happy. Can you see my face, my smile?” Contreras said. “Respects to Scott. You beat me man. You’re fast. But tomorrow is a different day. There are different strategies and there are 80 laps not one.” Defending champion Denny Hamlin qualified fifth. “Last year, we just knew from a month before hand we were going to win. I kind of have that same confidence this year,” he said. “Scott Pruett and Juan Pablo Montoya have the road-course background and are with awesome teams, so we are going to step up our game to beat them.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MEXICO CITY – Scott Pruett won the pole for today’s Telcel-Motorola 200, the third race south of the border in NASCAR’s Busch Series. Pruett averaged 103.647 mph on his fastest lap Saturday in the No. 41 Dodge on the 2.518-mile Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez course. Mexico City native Carlos Contreras was second at 103.407 mph in a 22 Dodge, and Juan Pablo Montoya, the Colombian star who jumped from Formula One to NASCAR last season, qualified third at 103.391 mph in a Dodge. Montoya finished first in Friday’s practice and blamed changes in his car for his third place Saturday. “Yesterday the car had really good balance and today they made some changes and the car became really tight,” Montoya said. “I told them we shouldn’t make the changes but they said it will be better. I guess it wasn’t. center_img “Things like that will happen and it’s quite a learning curve. But hopefully we have a decent chance of winning tomorrow.” Mexican Jorge Goeters, the pole winner in 2005, was fourth at 103.203. The 46-year-old Pruett said his road-course expertise should give him the edge. “I’ve had experience on road courses, which will give me a bit of an advantage. As long we do things smart and make the right calls on stops we’ve got a shot to win it,” Pruett said. “Our car is running is good and we are going to just keep doing what we are doing.” last_img read more

Posted on:

Everton transfer blow! Attacking target insists he’s happy in La Liga

first_imgCelta Vigo striker Nolito says he is happy at the Spanish club after a hat-trick against Everton sparked rumours of a transfer to Goodison Park.Roberto Martinez’s side went ahead in the friendly between the two sides last week, thanks to an Aiden McGeady strike.But the 27-year-old replied with three goals inside 27 first-half minutes to earn his side an impressive win.“I don’t know about any offers,” he said at a press conference. “I knew that would be the first question!“I’m happy here, I still have three years left on this contract and the only thing I can say is that my thoughts are to be here for many years.“These days I have not talked to my agent because I have nothing to talk to him about. I am happy here and my family too, so when things go well there is no reason to change.” 1 Celta Vigo striker Nolito last_img read more

Posted on:

Rashford upbeat after ‘tough period’

first_imgThe 22-year-old is seen as the future of United, while he is also a big part of Gareth Southgate’s international plans, with a spot in the Three Lions’ Euro 2020 squad looking nailed on right now.However, the forward, whose current contract expires in the summer of 2023, has come under fire this season after some underwhelming performances.This is the first time in Rashford’s career when serious questions have been asked about his ability but he has responded in good fashion in recent weeks, scoring in the 3-1 victories over Norwich City and Brighton.Rashford, who also netted in each of England’s Euro 2020 qualifiers in the current international break, admits he did lose his confidence in front of goal and it affected his displays for club and country.“It has been a tough period and now I’m getting consistent games and playing week in, week out,” he was quoted as saying by Goal. “As a forward that has huge importance.“If you are not in the team and you’re in and out, you don’t quite have that confidence in front of goal. But when you’re having a run in the team, it’s important to come up with the goods and once you start doing that it becomes second nature.”Rashford will be back in Premier League action on Sunday when United make the trip to Bramall Lane to take on Sheffield United, who are on a five-game unbeaten run and sit fifth in the standings.The Red Devils have won the last six meetings against the Blades, with the most recent coming in January 2016 when a Wayne Rooney penalty handed United a 1-0 victory.0Shares0000(Visited 17 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Rashford upbeat after ‘tough period’MANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Nov 20 – Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford feels he is growing in confidence with every game after coming through a tough run of below-par form.Rashford burst on to the scene in the 2015/16 season, having been drafted in by then-manager Louis van Gaal due to injury issues, and the Englishman has not looked back since his debut.last_img read more

Posted on:

‘Fans will boo him off if this move to United happens’ – Spurs man linked with switch

first_img Mauricio Pochettino is rumoured to be on a shortlist of managers to replace Louis van Gaal at Man United 1 First there was Jose Mourinho, then Pep Guardiola and now Mauricio Pochettino is the man reportedly lined up to replace Louis van Gaal.The current Man United manager has been under constant pressure following a string of poor results and performances, with Spurs man Pochettino the latest candidate linked in the British press.He is very popular with the White Hart Lane faithful and Tottenham are in contention to win two trophies this season – FA Cup and Europa League – and finish in the Champions League qualifying places.Here, talkSPORT has collected a selection of tweets from Spurs and United fans responding to these reports.last_img read more

Posted on:

SUPERB SAVINGS ON BACK TO SCHOOL ITEMS AT COONEYS HOME AND GARDEN CENTRE

first_imgBUSINESS: Cooneys Home & Garden in Letterkenny offer the largest selection of ‘Back to School’ items in the Northwest including school bags, lunch boxes, pencil cases, copy books and a complete range of stationery!Dreading searching the town to style out your son or daughter for the new school term? Look no further than Cooneys Home & Garden. We have everything you need in store, suitable for both National & Secondary school students!Our range of schoolbags include Ridge 53, Jeep, Totto and a selection of Disney character bags which are offered with a quality guarantee.We also have some fantastic special offers on stationery in store including 10 (120 page) copy books for ONLY €3!Grab a bargain at Cooneys Home & Garden – your one stop shop for Back to School gear! SUPERB SAVINGS ON BACK TO SCHOOL ITEMS AT COONEYS HOME AND GARDEN CENTRE was last modified: August 5th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BusinessFeaturesnewslast_img read more

Posted on:

Three join Whittier council race

first_imgWHITTIER – Let the race begin. Two attorneys and a church deacon are now officially in the running for the Whittier City Council. Attorneys Alex Moisa and Joe Vinatieri and church deacon Arthur Rock filed their nomination papers Wednesday, the deadline for candidates in the April 11 election. The three will vie for the seat of Councilman Doug Lopez, who was appointed to the panel a year ago to replace retired Councilman Dave Butler but chose not to run. Also opting out of the race was city Planning Commissioner Helen Rahder, a former council member. She had taken out nomination papers but did not return them by Wednesday’s deadline. Raider could not be reached for comment. The City Clerk’s Office still must verify that Moisa and Rock collected 20 valid signatures from registered voters to qualify to run. Vinatieri already has qualified. Two other council seats also are being contested. Incumbents Bob Henderson and Greg Nordbak, and challenger Joe Marsico, are vying for the two seats. Moisa and Vinatieri said they are not sure what effect Rahder’s decision not to run will have on the election. But both said they believe they can appeal to her supporters. “I’m on the Parks and Recreation Commission and on the Citizens Technical Advisory Committee for the Puente Hills Landfill Native Habitat Preservation Authority,” Moisa said. “My work on open-space issues demonstrates that I understand that particular component of what makes our city great – our park system, urban forest and open space on the hillside,” he said. Rock said he is disappointed Rahder bowed out. “It would have made (the election) a lot more interesting,” he said. “She’s really into architecture and preserving the historic places.” Vinatieri said he believes he, too, can appeal to Rahder’s supporters. “I’m a person who lives in a 1919 bungalow, who just did a remodel and put in wood windows by choice,” he said. “I’m personally sensitive to the people who are in Uptown and have lived here all my life.” Economic development will be the major issue in the race, all three candidates said. “We want to have a balance of residential development and retail development so we have sales tax for the city coffers,” Vinatieri said. “We also have to have commercial office space so we can attract good, high-paying jobs into Whittier. It should be live in Whittier, work in Whittier and shop in Whittier.” Rock said he wants more varied businesses in Whittier. “I’d like to see different types of businesses than restaurants and antique stores so people don’t have to go to the Brea or Puente Hills malls to shop,” he said. Moisa said he wants to improve the city’s business climate in the Uptown area. “We’ve got to invigorate Uptown and ensure quality development for the Nelles property,” he said. “There’s room for innovation and creative thinking.” mike.sprague@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Posted on:

GAA NEWS: FOUR MASTERS U10’S WIN BALLINTRA BLITZ COMPETITION

first_imgFour Masters Notes Under 10 boys: Our under 10 boys were invited to Ballintra to play in a very well organised blitz on Saturday last.In very wet and windy conditions the boys played six games in total three each for the a and b teams. They competed against teams from the hosts Naomh Brid as well as Killybegs and Glenties.The A team played the best football of the season winning their three games comfortably. The B s won two of the three only going down by a point to Glenties. These boys have improved immeasurably over the course of the season and the future bodes well for the club in boys underage football.They are out again this Saturday at 11am.This time we are hosting teams from Aodh Ruadh, Bundoran and Naomh Brid .Thanks must go to Naomh Brid for their hospitality on Saturday and to the parents who provided transport and braved the harsh conditions to support our boys.Patsy Brogan Memorial Tournament: The Final between Four Masters v Naomh Conaill is fixed for Thursday 28th August @ 7pm throw in. Tirconaill Park Please support Annual draw: Tickets are being distributed currently and are also onsale from members. This fundraiser is to raise monies to help service loans for our new training pitch.We would ask for your support.Tickets are €5 each or 5 for €20.The prizes are as follows, 1st Prize: ALL- Ireland Football Final 2014 Package 2 x Lower Cusack Stand Tickets plus 250 cash. 2nd Prize: Relaxing Break in The Hydro Hotel, Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare, includes 2 nights B&B & 1 Dinner for 2 people(In association with white Hotel Group) 3rd Prize: 32” Widescreen Smart TV (Sponsored by Mc Groarty’s Expert Electrical Store) 4th Prize: €250 Supervalu Shopping Voucher (Sponsored by Supervalu) 5th Prize : €250 Home heating Oil (In Association with E&J Oil Services Ltd) 6th Prize : Gourmet Dinner for 2 in Cedars Restraunt at the 5* Soils Lough Eske Castle ( Sponsored by Soils Lough Eske) Draw will take place on Thursday 18th September 2014 @9pm in Dom’s Pier One, Quay Street, and Donegal Town.Tickets and monies can be returned to club officers or to Abbey Hotel Monday evenings 9pm – 9.30pm Under 12 boys: good luck to the U12 boys who are travelling to Strabane to compete in the Peter Duffy Tournament on Saturday 23rd.Fundraiser: Sponsor a Virtual Sod is available on a new link on ourwebsite www.fourmastersgaa.com or contact any club officer about details, to sponsor either by PayPal or contact club member for application form.Please support this initiative, check out or virtual pitch. Get your name on Tirconaill Park Sod.Follow us via Facebook, Twitter, Club App and www.fourmastersgaa.com GAA NEWS: FOUR MASTERS U10’S WIN BALLINTRA BLITZ COMPETITION was last modified: August 19th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:four mastersGAANoticesSportlast_img read more

Posted on:

FORMER DONEGAL POLITICIAN WANTS HOTLINE FOR SPORTS CHEATS

first_imgFormer Donegal politician Cecilia Keaveney has called for a special hotline to be set up to blow the whistle on match fixing.Cecilia KeaveneyThe Inishowen woman and former Fianna Fail Senator was previously the chairperson of the Council of Europe Sports Committee.She was responding to the latest claims of match fixing in soccer. Ms Keaveney says the GAA and the FAI should now lead the way in the fight against such alleged rigging of games.She said a specialist line should be set up so athletes can give information without being targeted by criminals making cash from such rigging of games.“The sport (soccer) is waiting for a blazing fire of evidence but we know that if it is possible then it will take place,” she saidForeign betting gangs have constantly tried to infiltrate some Irish sports including League of Ireland soccer.  FORMER DONEGAL POLITICIAN WANTS HOTLINE FOR SPORTS CHEATS was last modified: December 1st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Ceclia Keaveneycheatinghotlinematch-fixinglast_img read more

Posted on:

Red Bluff Tritons compete in Anderson Invitational swim meet

first_imgAnderson >> The Red Bluff Tritons opened the summer swim season at West Valley High School this past weekend in the Anderson Invitational Swim Meet.Twenty-two swimmers ages 5-17 competed in individual and relay events in the heavy rain on Friday evening through the rising temperatures of Sunday afternoon.Male top performers included Nico Munoz — first place overall, boys age 11-12; Macaiah Niles — third place overall, boys age 7-8; Macalan Niles — first place overall, boys age 6 and under.Fem …last_img read more

Posted on: