Funk powerhouse Turkuaz will embark on a massive tour this coming fall, with nearly 50 stops spanning coast-to-coast beginning in mid-September. In addition to previously announced dates with Sinkane throughout the West Coast, the band will be joined by Con Brio and The Suffers on select stops across the country, with Pimps of Joytime joining later for a pre-New Year’s Eve run in Boston and New Haven. The band will make a noteworthy stop at the newly opened Brooklyn Steel for a hometown throwdown in November, while continuing to dominate the festival circuit at events like Whale Rock Music Festival, Joshua Tree Music Festival, LEAF Festival, and Hangtown Music Festival.With the band’s recent nonstop trajectory, sitting in with Umphrey’s McGee and Mike Gordon this past weekend at Peach Festival and constantly ruling the national touring circuit, it would be a huge mistake to miss Turkuaz on tour. Visually, they’re a sight to behold, from synchronized dance moves down to a coordinated color scheme, but musically, they’re one of the tightest funk acts in the game right now.Live for Live Music is thrilled to be teaming up with the dynamic nine-piece to provide behind-the-scenes coverage, real-time recaps, and more updates from the road throughout the cross-country tour.Special, fan pre-sale tickets are available now at www.turkuazband.com ahead of general public on sale this Friday, Aug 18 @ 12pm local time.
The former chief of a South Korean conglomerate was convicted of raping his maid and sexually assaulting a secretary Friday but only given a suspended sentence.Kim Jun-ki, the 75-year-old ex-chairman of DB Group, which has activities in finance and steel, repeatedly violated the two women, the Seoul Central District Court found.But it gave him a 30-month jail sentence suspended for four years, on the grounds of his age and what it said was the “forgiveness” of his victims. Topics : South Korea’s economy is dominated by a number of family-controlled conglomerates known as chaebol. They are credited with a key role in powering the country’s economic growth, but are also accused of murky connections to power.Kim was DB Group’s chairman at the time of the offences in 2016-17, and admitted most of the charges.”Even though Kim was in the position of a conglomerate leader who needed to show socially exemplary behavior, he forgot such responsibilities and assaulted his secretary and housemaid several times,” the court said, describing his crimes as “bad”.Kim, who had been in custody, was released after the hearing. Prosecutors had sought a five-year sentence. Critics accuse the country’s courts of showing leniency to chaebol family members.Previously, leaders of the Hyundai Motor, Samsung and SK groups have been given suspended sentences, and later presidential pardons.Their offences were generally financial, such as corruption, tax evasion or embezzlement, and charges of sexual offences against chaebol chiefs are unusual.Many of the conglomerates have highly hierarchical, rigid management structures and an opaque governance style that can enable workplace abuse.In one high-profile case, a Korean Air heiress threw a temper tantrum over how she was served macadamias, making a crew member kneel on the floor to beg forgiveness and ordering the aircraft back to the gate so he could be thrown off, earning herself instant “nut rage” notoriety.
Zola said: “I think it was very clever the way they used their money. They have a strong team, in every position they are very good. “The quality of the football has been made better and I believe that Fabregas has a lot to do with that. “Chelsea look like they will be one of the teams to beat – but the Premier League is long and the tough moments will come.” Zola was speaking at the Soccerex Global Convention in Manchester where he was part of a panel discussing the summer’s transfer business around Europe. Statistics produced by marketing firm Prime Time Sport to accompany the talk underlined the spending power of the Premier League. For the first time, combined spending by English clubs topped the one billion euros mark (£800.5million). Of those, Manchester United spent the heaviest, with their £157million new signings including club record £59.7million transfer Angel di Maria. Zola believes United had to play catch-up but is unsure whether it will pay off. Former Chelsea star Gianfranco Zola believes his old club have improved considerably as a result of “clever” summer spending. Press Association The Italian, 48, said: “Only time will tell. Obviously the intentions are good, they know the competition in this country is big. “They wanted to make sure they had the quality in the squad to face the challenge. “Manchester United want to make sure they are competitive in the next few years. “The potential is there but football can be affected by many things. I hope for Manchester it will go well.” Yet while United’s transfer spending may be eye-popping, Prime Time’s figures also reveal that the club – despite the departures of Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley – still boast the highest number of homegrown players in the Premier League with seven. Arsenal and Aston Villa both have six, Liverpool and Newcastle five while QPR, Hull and Sunderland have none. United’s seven are Ben Amos, Jonny Evans, Tyler Blackett, Rafael, Darren Fletcher, Jesse Lingard and Adnan Januzaj. Former United assistant boss Mike Phelan has said he feels the club have lost some of their identity with the £16million sale of academy graduate Welbeck to Arsenal. But Zola hopes manager Louis van Gaal will still give opportunities to those who have come through the system. He said: “Van Gaal is the type of manager if he has a good young player, he will play him. “He is known for that. The young players will have to raise their standards but the quality of the players they have bought is high.” Another player to have moved in the recent transfer window is Zola’s former protege Mario Balotelli. Balotelli, the controversial striker who played under Zola for Italy Under-21s, joined Liverpool from AC Milan for £16million. Zola said: “I believe Mario technically and tactically is the perfect fit for Liverpool. “I think it will depend a lot on Mario’s attitude towards it. “I think it is very important for him. I believe it is a massive opportunity for him to make a step forward in his career and his knowledge of football. “I hope Mario takes the chance very well and Liverpool can have a lot of benefit from it.” Chelsea, boosted by the signings of Spain duo Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa, are the early favourites for the Barclays Premier League after winning their opening three games. Costa, a £32million buy from Atletico Madrid, has been an instant hit with four goals in three games while former Arsenal midfielder Fabregas, £30million from Barcelona, has also shone.
Black Satellites assistant coach Yaw Preko has sounded out that places into Ghana’s final 21-man squad for the Fifa U-20 World Cup will be given on merit.Ghana submitted its provisional squad of 35 players to Fifa before the mandatory April 1 deadline for the competition which comes off in New Zealand from May 30 to June 20.The expanded list of the 21-man squad that participated at the African Youth Championship is predominantly made of some of Ghana’s best foreign-based prospects who are expected to bolster the quality of the team.“There is no guarantee that once you are a foreign-based player you will automatically make the squad for the World Cup.”“Everyone will have to justify his selection into the team,” Preko, the ex-Black Stars winger has said.Supersport.com understands that Ghana plan to open a six-week camping in New Zealand where they will face the World Cup hosts, Brazil and Qatar in a four-nation pre-tournament competition. –