Funk powerhouse Turkuaz will embark on a massive tour this coming fall, with nearly 50 stops spanning coast-to-coast beginning in mid-September. In addition to previously announced dates with Sinkane throughout the West Coast, the band will be joined by Con Brio and The Suffers on select stops across the country, with Pimps of Joytime joining later for a pre-New Year’s Eve run in Boston and New Haven. The band will make a noteworthy stop at the newly opened Brooklyn Steel for a hometown throwdown in November, while continuing to dominate the festival circuit at events like Whale Rock Music Festival, Joshua Tree Music Festival, LEAF Festival, and Hangtown Music Festival.With the band’s recent nonstop trajectory, sitting in with Umphrey’s McGee and Mike Gordon this past weekend at Peach Festival and constantly ruling the national touring circuit, it would be a huge mistake to miss Turkuaz on tour. Visually, they’re a sight to behold, from synchronized dance moves down to a coordinated color scheme, but musically, they’re one of the tightest funk acts in the game right now.Live for Live Music is thrilled to be teaming up with the dynamic nine-piece to provide behind-the-scenes coverage, real-time recaps, and more updates from the road throughout the cross-country tour.Special, fan pre-sale tickets are available now at www.turkuazband.com ahead of general public on sale this Friday, Aug 18 @ 12pm local time.
An eagle-two at the 364-yard second was followed by a birdie at the next and although he bogeyed the seventh he got that shot back at the par-five ninth to turn in 33, three under for his round. England’s Oliver Fisher was also three under for his round, with four birdies and a bogey, having started the morning 12 over. Westwood, who goes out in the final group with American Hunter Mahan at 2.10pm, leads the field by two shots but the margins for error have become increasingly fine as the Muirfield greens have got quicker and more slippery over the week. With world number one Tiger Woods and Masters champion Adam Scott, who threw away his chance of winning The Open 12 months ago at Royal Lytham by squandering a four-shot lead, respectively two and three strokes back and two-time major winner Angel Cabrera at one over, there is plenty of quality looking to hunt down Westwood. But with par being a good score around the East Lothian links any mistakes near the top of the leaderboard can bring a number of other players into play if they can shoot anything sub-71. It means the likes of Ryder Cup star Sergio Garcia and Australian Jason Day, who has finished third and second in this year’s two majors, at three over cannot be ruled out while even defending champion Ernie Els and England’s Ian Poulter, at five over, have an outside chance. Some of the early starters continued to make headway, with American Jason Dufner carding a 67, which was unlikely to be bettered. Former Open champion Stewart Cink, winner in 2009 at Turnberry, shot a two-under 69 for a final score of eight over. He said he was able to benefit from the most favourable conditions of the week but expected things to get more difficult for the leaders. “Teeing off at 8.30am conditions are a little bit better,” he said. “You’re dealing with the greens that they’ve prepared for the later afternoon drying out, so you’re dealing with a little bit more moisture. “The wind is lighter and it may get up later. If it gets sunny it will get up. The greens are a little more receptive and you’re flying the ball more to the distance that you’re accustomed to on a course with firm greens and not just crazy things short of the hole and short of the green, like we were earlier. “It was by far the most playable day of the week. You still have to shoot a good score, you have to make some putts. I had a great run on the front nine (a four-under 32) and slowed down a little bit on the back. The holes seemed to shrink up.” South African Tim Clark gave hope to those players hoping to launch a challenge to win the 142nd Open Championship with some low scoring early on the final day. Although the 37-year-old had no chance of contending for the Claret Jug, having begun his round at 11-over – 14 off the lead held by England’s Lee Westwood – when he teed off at 8am he showed what was possible. The cloudiest and coolest conditions of the week with little breeze made scoring slightly easier and Clark took advantage. Press Association
After absorbing a harsh blow by the NCAA, USC has decided to fight back.The university will appeal the several sanctions — a two-year bowl ban and a loss of 30 scholarships from 2011-2013 — deemed “too severe” and “inconsistent with precedent.”“We disagree with many of the findings in the report from the NCAA Committee on Infractions and assert that the penalties imposed are too severe for the violations identified and are inconsistent with precedent in similar cases,” said Todd Dickey, USC’s senior vice president for administration, in a statement released Friday.Not in control · First-year coach Lane Kiffin and the Trojans hope the school’s appeal will allow them to compete in a bowl game in 2011-2012. – Geo Tu | Summer Trojan In the release, USC announced it will ask for the two-year bowl ban to be reduced to one year. The university also seeks a reduction in scholarship penalties for the football program — instead of losing 10 scholarships each year from 2011-2013, the Trojans are asking it be reduced to five each year.The NCAA infractions committee plans to meet in late September and early November, but, with the time frame given, USC decided to accept the bowl ban for the upcoming season and hope the NCAA will leave it at that.A four-year investigation of the university’s athletic program resulted in a 67-page report that penalized USC for a lack of institutional control.Two of the primary culprits listed in the report included former football Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush and basketball one-and-done prep star O.J. Mayo.The football team was not the only subject of controversy for the university. The men’s basketball team and women’s tennis team were also cited in the report, but the NCAA did not take any further action against the basketball team.Earlier this year, the university self-imposed sanctions on the basketball team, banning it from postseason play for the 2009-2010 season, forfeiting all victories in the only season Mayo was eligible and reducing the amount of scholarships the program is allowed to use for the next two years.Bush received lavish gifts from two would-be sports marketers — Lloyd Lake and Michael Michaels — and his family also accepted payments for hotel stays and a rent-free home in San Diego.“The university recognizes that violations of NCAA rules did occur, especially involving impermissible benefits going to student athletes as well as their friends and families, from unscrupulous sports agents and sports marketers,” Dickey said. “We take full responsibility for those violations, given that they happened on our watch.”The NCAA declared Bush was ineligible to play beginning in December 2004 and, in turn, USC was ordered to forfeit every victory in which Bush participated while ineligible.Bush’s Heisman Trophy could be revoked as well. Members of the Heisman Trust said they might review Bush’s award if the NCAA deemed him ineligible.Bush has acknowledged no wrongdoing and vowed to help USC fight the sanctions.“I’m going to do everything I can to make this right, some way, somehow, some shape or form, if it’s the last thing I do,” he said.The appeals process will take at least several months, and many experts believe an answer in the spring would be the best-case scenario for the university.In that situation, an NCAA overturning of the original ruling and upholding the terms of USC’s appeal would put the school in immediate position to compete in a bowl game — and halve the number of scholarships lost.USC has already begun to find recruits to enroll in January to help bypass the NCAA’s mandated scholarship limits that kick in next fall.